Are you an experienced developer with a ‘can do’ attitude and enthusiasm that inspires others?
Do you enjoy being part of team that develops high-quality code?
About our Team: Our mission is to empower the global academic community to fully support and understand scholars’ journeys
About the Role: As a Software Engineer, you’ll be part of our Agile development squad. You will develop exciting, new data-driven solutions that will shape the future of our information business. You will help your team understand problems and deliver solutions using your technical expertise.
* Interfacing with other technical personnel or team members to finalize requirements.
* Write and review portions of detailed specifications for the development of complex system components.
* Working closely with other development team members to understand complex product requirements and translate them into software designs.
* Successfully implement development processes, coding best practices, and code reviews.
* Operating in various development environments (Agile, Waterfall, etc.) while collaborating with key stakeholders.
* Build complex, large-scale, production-grade web apps and APIs using Ruby on Rails/Go
* Architect complex features and third party integrations
* Simplify technology in a way that internal stakeholders can understand
* Write clean, well-tested, maintainable code
* Take ownership of your projects from beginning to end
* Exhibit enthusiasm about sharing and adopting best practices with your team
* Be flexible-you understand the needs of a technology changes
* Be detail-oriented, a fast learner, and scrappy
* Contributing to and directing the efforts of engineering development teams, including internal and external team members to ensure complex/advanced product features/issues are resolved according to SLA’s.
* Support the Architecture
* Participate in code reviews and ship code on a daily basis
* Participate in project scoping, resource planning, and timeline estimation
* Web application development experience in an enterprise of consumer software development environment
* Experience with Ruby on Rails/Go/ in a component based architecture
* Experience integrating with back-end APIs via REST and GraphQL
* Experience building web applications having proper layers of abstraction, separation of concerns, reusable components, and containment
* Experience with Git version control
* Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in English
* Ability to guide technical direction within a cross-functional engineering team
* Meticulous attention to technical and visual details, with a passion for delivering high-quality user experiences
* A passion for leading, mentoring, and developing other team members in the design, development, coding, testing, and debugging of applications.
* Excellent problem solving and debugging skills
* Excellent at writing technical documentation
* Ability to work remotely and effectively manage your time
* You thrive in a fast paced environment
* Being a part of an engineering organization that exists to efficiently deliver high quality code to production that powers the business excites you!
* Have a passion about delivering great user experiences through front-end technologies and tools. Meticulous attention to technical and visual details, with a passion for delivering high-quality user experiences
Nice to haves:
* Full stack application development, including services development in Ruby on Rails/Go
* Familiarity with Docker is a plus
* Familiarity with Accessibility in web apps
* Strong knowledge of cloud-based web architectures (in AWS)
Work in a way that works for you
We promote a healthy work/life balance across the organization. With an average length of service of 9 years, we are confident that we offer an appealing working prospect for our people. With numerous wellbeing initiatives, family leave and tuition reimbursement, we will help you meet your immediate responsibilities and long-term goals.
Working flexible hours – flexing the times when you work in the day to help you fit everything in and work when you are the most productive
Working with us
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to help you succeed. Here, you will find an inclusive, agile, collaborative, innovative and fun environment, where everyone has a part to play. Regardless of the team you join, we promote a diverse environment with co-workers who are passionate about what they do, and how they do it.
Working for you
At Elsevier, we know that your wellbeing and happiness are key to a long and successful career. These are some of the benefits we are delighted to offer:
* Comprehensive, multi-carrier health plan benefits
* Disability insurance
* Dependent Care and Commuter Spending Accounts
* Life and Accident Insurance
* Retirement Benefits (Salary Investment Plan/Employer Stock Purchase Plan)
* Modern Family Benefits, including adoption and surrogacy
A global leader in information and analytics, we help researchers and healthcare professionals advance science and improve health outcomes for the benefit of society. Building on our publishing heritage, we combine quality information and vast data sets with analytics to support visionary science and research, health education and interactive learning, as well as exceptional healthcare and clinical practice. At Elsevier, your work contributes to the world’s grand challenges and a more sustainable future. We harness innovative technologies to support science and healthcare to partner for a better world.
When you work with us, your work matters. You are part of an organization that nurtures your curiosity to stimulate innovation for the communities that we serve.
Growing Every Day
Like the communities we serve, you are on a constant path of discovery to shape your career and personal development.
Colleagues Who Care
You will be part of the Elsevier family. We will support your well-being and provide the flexibility you need to thrive at work and home.
Together, we create possibilities.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to providing a fair and accessible hiring process. If you have a disability or other need that requires accommodation or adjustment, please let us know by completing our Applicant Request Support Form: [ Link removed ] – Click here to apply to Sr. Backend Engineer (Remote) .