What we do
We’re fixing one of the most broken and costly pieces of the US healthcare system: medical billing.
Today, healthcare providers spend over $250B each year on administrative overhead just to get paid by insurance. Medical billing is expensive because it’s nuanced and hard – maybe ~100x harder than credit card payment processing – and because it’s traditionally done by armies of humans who track and manage complex rules and processes specific to individual insurance companies with little or no supporting software.
We’re rethinking medical billing from the ground up, building software backed by best-in-class data science (and, soon, a dash of machine learning) to automate much of this complexity so healthcare providers can get paid dramatically more easily and inexpensively.
We were in the Y Combinator W20 batch and have since been well funded by a world-class group of funds (8VC, First Round Capital, BoxGroup) + angel investors. We’re now helping our customers — >10x more than we had back in YC — treat opioid addiction, provide holistic care for women (Tia), provide equitable access to birth control (The Pill Club), lose weight, increase access to mental health care, and much more. This is such important and gratifying work; we can’t wait for you to join our team and help support some of the most important innovation happening in healthcare today!
We spend at least as much time with our coworkers as we do with our closest friends + family – if we intend to do the most important + challenging work of our lives, it’s important that these folks energize us, support us, inspire us, and push us to do our best work. This is what you can expect of your teammates at Candid (in no particular order):
- We put our customers first
- We take care of each other and ourselves
- We anchor on outcomes and work relentlessly and creatively to achieve them
- We collectively prioritize building a diverse and inclusive workspace
- We believe humility is our greatest strength
- We are candid, kind, and committed
- We strive to be the most prepared person in the room
- We are truth seekers
What You’ll Be Doing
- You’ll contribute to Candid Health’s product development.
- You’ll ensure there is UX consistency across various pages/components within the Candid app.
- You’ll interact closely with our current + prospective customers, developing intuition around their biggest pain points and thinking of creative ways to address them.
- You’ll play a critical role in shaping our engineering + broader company culture and help make this the best place we’ve ever worked.
- You’ll ensure we’re using the most relevant front end libraries and tooling.
- You’ll have opportunities to build tooling and improvements for front-end dev ops.
- You’ll be responsible for front end profiling and monitoring.
Who You Are
- You have Bachelors of Science or Bachelors of Arts/Sciences in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or similar degree.
- You have 4+ years of experience in a Software Engineering position.
- You have experience with HTML, CSS, React, Typescript, and API development.
- You may have experience with server-side rendering, GraphQL, Tailwind, Firebase, and Codegen.
- You have great instincts around UX / Design.
- You take pride in your craft and enjoy building high-quality software but also believe that “done is better than perfect” and have good intuition around which corners are worth cutting and which aren’t.
- You have a learner’s mindset and value teaching others.
- You have a customer-first mindset.
- You’re a clear and concise communicator; you enjoy the challenge of explaining complicated ideas in simple terms, both in-person and in writing.
The estimated starting annual salary range for this position is $135,000 to $230,000 USD. The listed range is a guideline and the actual base salary may be modified based on factors including job-related skills, experience/qualifications, interview performance, market data, etc. Total compensation for this position may also include equity, sales incentives (for sales roles), and employee benefits. Given Candid Health’s funding and size, we heavily value the potential upside from equity in our compensation package. Further note that Candid Health has minimal hierarchy & titles, but has broad ranges of experience represented within roles.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.