As a Back-End engineer, you will be responsible for designing, building, and managing performant and resilient distributed systems. You’ll design intuitive developer-friendly interfaces to data via REST/GraphQL APIs. You’ll write tests to validate that the API contract is adhered to, and author services and data systems to implement the desired interfaces. Your job will involve architecting and evolving distributed collaborating microservices for maintainability, and ensuring the system and its components scale gracefully with increased data and load from users, external systems/3rd party integrations, and inter-service communication. You will write high quality, readable/maintainable code, reusable infrastructure modules, and high quality documentation. You’ll write automated unit, contract, and load tests. You will also identify and resolve performance bottlenecks and issues in production.
Vivun embraces DevOps as a culture. As such, you will be responsible for ensuring the stability of the systems you build in production. You will need to author contributions that can be safely and automatically promoted and tested. Your services and applications must be instrumented with logging, tracing, and metrics to ensure they are diagnosable and monitored continuously for failure. You will be responsible for configuring and responding to alerts when issues occur.
As a Back-End engineer, you will be responsible for educating the broader team and cross-pollinating knowledge and good ideas. Your unique perspective and detailed system-level awareness will make it critical that you understand and communicate risks and problems where others might not perceive them. Be ready to help other engineers grok the big ideas behind building performant and resilient systems.
Vivun engineers are responsible for disrupting the status quo with great ideas and valuable feedback. An important part of your job is to introduce and evaluate new tools and technologies, evolve quality standards, and provide insightful feedback on proposals, design artifacts, and code contributions. Help create a culture where everyone learns and evolves rapidly.
* 5-10 years of experience in software engineering individual contributor role
* Principled, Scientific, and Quantitative Thinkers. Vivun values Back-End engineers who strive to deeply understand the causes of observed outcomes. The best are unsettled when they can’t understand the reasons why unexpected events occur. Vivun needs quantitative thinkers who are comfortable with making quantitative, statistically informed predictions of how a system is likely to perform under load, and who can also empirically validate or refute alternative hypotheses / predictions and communicate effectively with numbers and visualizations.
* Defensive Engineering Mindset. We need engineers who deeply understand nuances, edge cases, limitations, and risks of the systems, technologies, and tools at their disposal, and have the battle scars to prove it. Can you anticipate the various failure modes, and design a system that can handle them? If you have experience authoring maintainable, resilient, multi-tenant salesforce applications at scale, and if you have well-informed opinions about observability, testing automation, performance, and resilience, let’s chat.
* Creative and Systematic. Can you create order from chaos? Building excellent products is not easy; it takes both creativity, and rigorous systematic thinking to drive clarity and consensus. The ideal candidate can brainstorm in the space of possibilities, and pivot quickly to synthesizing clear interfaces and acceptance criteria.
* Tenacious Problem Solver. Do you become obsessed when you encounter challenging problems? Whether it’s understanding what caused that gnarly production bug, or achieving performance improvements others believe is impossible, we’re looking for those who enjoy the challenge. Ideal candidates are systematic, scientific thinkers who can quickly figure out what’s true and what to do about it.
* Growth mindset. We need lifelong, continuous learners who crave constant improvement. Building an outstanding product and company is extremely hard, and the ideal candidate understands that the growth you will experience by taking on this challenge is the real reward.
* Ownership. Do you naturally take initiative to make improvements without others asking for them? Do you experience joy when your projects move forward? Do you go the extra mile to ensure your peers are succeeding? Do both the big picture and the details matter to you? If so, let’s chat.
* A believer in Vivun’s core values: Don’t be greedy. Do the right thing. We, not me. Transparency. Be different.
* Experienced working in high growth startup environments: You have the ability to move fast, adapt, and thrive in a dynamic startup environment where you derive priorities, requirements, and goals from company context.
* Collaborative: You are ready to roll up your sleeves and create strategies that work across roles and departments to achieve company goals.
* A Clear Communicator: You effectively and positively present your informed opinions on strategy clearly to multiple teams and areas of expertise. You come with a solid rationale behind every decision you make, you understand the importance of listening as part of communication.
What You Will Have At Vivun:
* Competitive salary and full health benefits
* Stock Options at a well funded, pre-IPO company on a fast growth track
* Flexible work schedules and work from anywhere at a fully remote company
* Unlimited PTO with two weeks designated as “quiet period” each year
* An experienced team who will fight beside you in the trenches to accomplish your goals